Thursday, August 25, 2011

It's time for a soup off/which bean is better?

First up is Gwyneth Paltrow's White bean soup from her new cookbook. I've become obsessed with beans especially cooking them from dry and since living in France and not being able to find black beans in a can like at home. Man oh man I am craving Mexican food! Anyways. I felt like soup and I like beans so decided to make two soups with two different beans and find out which one worked better. I first saw Gwyneth's recipe for white bean soup in a vegetarian magazine and it made my mouth water. We had to try it out!

The contender is Black bean and sweet potato soup based on Sarah's recipe from My New Roots but a little more me. (Meaning my Mom.) We grew up eating dishes such as hambuger surprise and something something else surprise. She is a truly creative soul and hates authority such as recipes and measurements! There were always wonderful meals on our dinner table made with what was in the fridge and pantry that day. To that sense this how I instinctually enjoy cooking as well.
So there are no leeks or carrots or cilantro like Sarah's recipe. But there are the beans! Oh the glorious beans! And that's what this experiment is all about right? The great bean debate!


So I'm sure you're wondering, who won?

Surprisingly The White Bean soup was the clear winner. We ate bowl after bowl of it with happy faces and full bellies. I think maybe it was the long caramelizing of the onions at the beginning? I don't know but I am definitely making this one again!

Oh yeah and just a friendly reminder......"Love needs to be tended to every day!" Thanks to my BFF Sue for the sweet B-day present!

Love and Hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment